DP
By ozinas45 • 15th Mar 2019 • 27 views • 5 comments

Manchester United attacker Jesse Lingard has told ESPN FC that criticism of his larger- than - life personality and off- field interests won ’ t make him change. Lingard has starred for both United and England on the pitch but has , at times , received criticism for his online presence – where he has 6 . 2 million followers on Instagram and another 1 . 3 million on Twitter – and dedicating time to projects away from football. One of those is his clothing label, JLingz , and Lingard said a range called “ Be Yourself ” has been inspired by some of the negative attention he has received for showing off his individuality . “ When I was younger, I used to get criticised a lot for doing stuff off the field but at the end of the day I was just being me , ” Lingard told ESPN FC during an interview at his Cheshire home . “I wasn’ t trying to impress anyone or anything like that . “ I was just being myself and that ’ s the main reason why I started to use that slogan [ Be Yourself ] and to put it into a clothing brand. “ It ’ s good to get it out there to the people . Someone might want to speak up and they might be afraid and stuff like that , so it’ s more about people being themselves and standing up for what they know . ”

As well as accounts on Instagram and Twitter , Lingard has launched a YouTube channel that already has close to 250 , 000 subscribers and has starred in advertising campaigns for JD Sports and Coca - Cola . However , the 26 - year - old said the most important thing is his day job . “ Of course , I ’ m a footballer first, ” he said. “ But off the field , I ’ ve got the YouTube channel and my clothing line. “ I like to be different – unique at the same time . I class myself as a footballer but maybe an influencer off the pitch . (The social media ) is to let people try and see what I get up to off the pitch . I think it ’s good for the fans to get an insight into what I get up to. ” Lingard has become known for his goal celebrations , including doing the moonwalk after finding the net in a 3 - 1 win over Arsenal at the Emirates in January. One of the first was a J - L hand gesture after scoring in a 2- 1 win over West Brom at the Hawthorns in December 2017 and the forward revealed it was something he plotted with pal Marcus Rashford the night before the game .

“ Before a match against West Brom away , me and Marcus were in the room the night before just thinking of what sort of hand celebrations we could do , ” Lingard said. “ We were trying loads of things and I was trying to make a J and an L . “ I said if I score , I ’ ll do it and obviously I scored that day and I did it but people were kind of like : ‘What ’s he doing ?’ “ No one really knew what it was about and then people got wind of it being a J and an L . ”

Source:https://punchng.com/criticism-wont-make-me-change-uniteds-lingard/

5 Replies | Last update 15th Mar 2019 | Last comment

Requires Login

Make Money
Make Money

flyer 1 final

Ad1

Quick View User Earnings

Requires Login Login To View Earnings