DP
By Ejigbo001 • 11th Feb 2019 • 13 views • 3 comments

Derby coach Frank Lampard insists he isn’ t dreaming of a potential return to Chelsea amid talk that Blues boss Maurizio Sarri could be sacked. Sarri is under fire following a troubled first season at Stamford Bridge . The Italian’ s problems peaked on Sunday when Chelsea suffered their heaviest defeat for 28 years in a 6- 0 thrashing at Manchester City . That led to Lampard , who is Chelsea ’ s record goal- scorer after a glittering 13- year spell at Stamford Bridge , to find his name mentioned as a candidate to replace Sarri if he is axed by Roman Abramovich . The former England midfielder helped Chelsea win the Premier League and Champions League among other prizes and is regarded as one of the club ’ s all -time greats .

In his first stint as a manager , Lampard has earned plaudits for his work at second - tier Derby, who are in contention for promotion from the Championship . But, speaking at a press conference on Monday , Lampard showed respect for Sarri ’ s perilous position as he made it clear he wasn ’ t ready to declare his interest in the Chelsea job. “ My job is here . We ’ re working very hard and my thoughts are on Ipswich Town on Wednesday, and Brighton on Saturday, ” he said . Lampard backed Chelsea to show resilience and respond to the humiliating defeat at the Etihad Stadium , a setback which leaves their top four hopes in turmoil . Lampard , who had a brief spell at City at the end of his career , admitted he was stunned to see Chelsea out- classed . “ With my Chelsea hat on , 13 years as a player there , you have a feeling for it and it’ s not nice, it’ s not easy . It doesn ’ t happen to Chelsea much so when it does it’ s a shock , ” Lampard said . “ But they ’ re going up against an incredible team and I had some time at Manchester City as well . I have some feelings for them . The work Pep Guardiola and their incredible squad have done is something special . “ For Chelsea , it was a tough day. With all top teams, the important thing is you come back strong , no matter what type of defeat. What makes top teams is resilience and Chelsea as a club will have it. ” Chelsea now sits sixth in the Premier League, below Arsenal on goals scored, ahead of what could be a decisive period for Sarri before the end of February . The Blues’ next game is a trip to Malmo in the first leg of their Europa League last- 32 tie on Thursday. ( AFP)

3 Replies | Last update 11th Feb 2019 | Last comment

Requires Login

Make Money

Make Money

Make Money

Ad1

Quick View User Earnings

Requires Login Login To View Earnings