DP
By Joelbriggs001 • 10 days ago • 17 views • 3 comments

Anthony Martial has the talent to reach Cristiano Ronaldo’s level if he puts his mind to it, according to Manchester United caretaker boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer .

Martial had looked set to leave the club in the summer after falling out with Jose Mourinho but battled his way back into the Portuguese manager ’s plans .

Last month, with Solskjaer now at the helm at Old Trafford, he signed a deal keeping him at the club until at least 2024 .

The France international marked his first start since that contract with an assist and a superb second in the 3 - 0 win against Fulham , where his fine solo goal led ex- United captain Gary Neville to compare it to a Ronaldo effort at Craven Cottage in 2007.

“He does have similarities , of course,” said Solskjaer , who replaced the sacked Mourinho in December . “If he wants to be at Cristiano ’ s level, Anthony knows what he has to do. It’s up to him . He has the talent .”

“I am glad he is in my team ,” the Norwegian added . “He has contributed to so many chances , so many goals . He is a Manchester United player . He excites the crowd . He excites the manager . He excites his teammates. And he is a great character around the place .”

Martial , 23 , who became the most expensive teenager in history when he moved to United from Monaco in 2015 for an initial £ 36 million ( $ 46 million ) , has scored 47 goals for the club.

Ronaldo scored 118 goals in 292 appearances for United , winning the Premier League three times and the Champions League .

United play Paris Saint - Germain in the first leg of their Champions League quarter -final on Tuesday , bolstered by Neymar ’s injury , but Solskjaer said the absence of the Brazilian would be a loss .

“When you play against the best teams , you want to play against the players ,” he said . “The crowd want to see the best players . Too bad for Old Trafford.

“ I have played a couple of games when we played Real Madrid and ( Brazil ’s) Ronaldo and ( Luis) Figo and all those were coming to Old Trafford. That gives it an extra edge.

“Unfortunately for Neymar he is injured but of course he is a quality player . I think our right- back thinks it is not too bad he will not be here .”

( AFP )

Ad1

3 Replies | Last update 10 days ago | Last comment

Requires Login

Ad1

Ad1

Ad1

Quick View User Earnings

Requires Login Login To View Earnings