DP
By ozinas45 • 8 days ago • 260 views • 57 comments

One of the five persons standing trial for last year ’ s bank robberies in Offa , Kwara State , Ayoade Akinnibosun , on Friday told an Ilorin High Court that the police deliberately killed Michael Adikwu, a principal suspect and the mastermind behind the robberies, which claimed many lives . Testifying before the court in a “ trial within trial ” , Ayoade also narrated how the police asked him to implicate the Senate President , Dr Bukola Saraki , in the robbery incidents . Akinnibosun and two other accused , Ibikunle Ogunleye and Adeola Abraham , alleged that they made their statements under duress . Answering questions during cross - examination by the defence counsel , Mathias Emeribe, Ayoade, who is the first accused in the case , claimed Adikwu, who was the mastermind of the robberies, was shot dead by one Inspector Vincent attached to the police Intelligence Response Team . While being examined and cross - examined by their counsel , Emeribe, and the prosecution counsel , Razaq Gold , they alleged that they were tortured and threatened by the police to make their confessional statements. The prosecution witness , Inspector Hitila Hassan , on Thursday told the court that the suspects voluntarily made their statements under his supervision . Lead prosecuting counsel , Prof Wahab Egbewole , sought to tender the statements as exhibits but Emeribe objected .

Emeribe argued that the accused did not volunteer their statements which the prosecution wanted to tender before the court , noting that they fell short of the provisions of the Evidence Act, particularly sections 28 and 29 . At the resumed hearing on Friday, Akinnibosun said, “ Abba Kyari told me to say that the Senate President Bukola Saraki gave me the guns we used for the operations. But I declined. “ He (Abba Kyari ) promised that they would reward me handsomely and set me free if I could indict Saraki . When I disagreed , they asked some policemen to take me back to the cell. During this time , my hands were tied to my legs . ” The suspect said he was the leader of Kwara South Liberation Movement mobilising young jobless graduates for the representative of Kwara South at the Senate , Dr Rafiu Ibrahim . The trio also claimed Inspector Vincent shot dead five Fulani men when they were kept at the IRT ‘ theatre room ’ . They added that it was in the same ‘ theatre room that Inspector Vincent , popularly known as Mr Torture, allegedly shot dead Adikwu for failing to indict them . Ogunleye said “they brought the late Adikwu to implicate us and he said he had not met any of us in his life – that was why Mr Torture shot him to death . ” The trial Judge, Justice Halimat Salman , adjourned the case till March 25 , 2019 for the continuation of trial within trial .

Source: https://punchng.com/offa-bank-robberies-suspect-alleges-police-killed-adikwu/

Ad1

57 Replies | Last update 8 days ago | Last comment

Requires Login

Ad1

Retoner

Ad1

Retoner

Ad1

Quick View User Earnings

Requires Login Login To View Earnings